TABLE OF CONTENTS
Drunk driving accidents can be very serious and often result in serious injuries or death. You can recover monetary compensation if you’ve been injured in an accident caused by an intoxicated driver. The decision to drive under the influence (DUI) is dangerous. Despite knowing everything we know about drunk driving, many people still make this decision. Legal options are available if you’ve suffered injuries in a car accident caused by a negligent driver.
What to Do If You're in a Drunk Driving Accident
If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident, it can be an emotionally and physically traumatic experience. Here are five steps to take after a drunk driving accident in Las Vegas.
- Seek medical attention right away. You must do this step first, whether your injuries are minor or severe. This helps ensure you receive the necessary care and provides documentation for insurance or legal purposes later.
- Notify your own insurance company. Your auto insurance company should be notified of the accident following medical treatment. Your insurance company will likely send an adjuster to inspect the damage to your vehicle. Unless you have consulted with an experienced DUI accident lawyer, do not sign documents or make recorded statements.
- Obtain a copy of the police report from the accident. The police report is an official record of the incident and can be used as evidence if you file a drunk driving accident lawsuit against the other driver.
- Document everything. From police reports and witness statements to photos of injuries or property damage.
- Get a free consultation from a Las Vegas personal injury lawyer. Having an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer on your side can help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for any injuries, property damage, or other losses you have sustained. A skilled attorney will know how to protect your interests, whether negotiating with insurance companies or taking your case to court.
What is the Average Compensation for a Drunk Driving Accident?
Who Pays My Medical Bills After A Drunk Driver Accident in Nevada?
Types of DUI Motor Vehicle Accidents
When someone drives under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it puts not only themselves but also other drivers and pedestrians at risk. When a DUI leads to an accident, the consequences can be fatal. The types of motor vehicle accidents that can occur due to driving under the influence include:
- Pedestrian Accidents – These accidents often result in severe injury or death due to the difference in size and weight between a pedestrian and a motor vehicle.
- Motorcycle Accidents – A motorcycle has much less protection than a car, making it particularly vulnerable when involved in an accident with a larger vehicle.
- Truck Accidents – Large commercial trucks can cause devastating damage when they are involved in an accident, due to their size and weight.
- Multi-Vehicle Accidents – When there is more than one vehicle involved in a DUI accident, the consequences can be even more severe.
In any of these situations, it’s important for those who have been injured by a driver under the influence to take legal action as soon as possible. A personal injury lawyer can help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Types of DUI Accident Injuries
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Neck and spine injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
Nevada Drunk Driving Laws
Nevada Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
Nevada has one of the highest drunk driving accident rates in the United States. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, every 45 minutes, an innocent person in America loses their life due to a drunk driving accident. Unfortunately, this number has only grown from 2019 to 2020; 11,654 people lost their lives because of alcohol-impaired driving – a 14% increase. These tragedies could have been avoided if the drunk drivers had taken more responsibility for themselves and others on the road.
Effects of Drunk Driving
Drunk driving is a serious offense that can have long-lasting, devastating consequences.
- Increased chances of getting into a car accident
- Increased chances of being in a fatal car accident
- Can lead to financial hardship
- Jail time and fines
- License suspension or revocation
- Higher insurance rates
How to Prevent Drunk Driving
There are many things we can do to prevent drunk driving accidents from happening in the first place. Here are some tips:
- Have a plan before going out.
- Designate a driver or take taxis/UBER/LYFT home.
- Avoid drinking on an empty stomach.
- Keep track of how much you’ve had to drink by counting drinks or using an alcohol tracking app.
- Know your limits and stop drinking when you reach them.
- Drink water or other non-alcoholic beverages in between alcoholic drinks
A drunk driving crash can leave victims with serious injuries that require expensive medical treatment. In addition, you may be unable to work while you recover, resulting in lost wages. An attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve for your losses.
How a Las Vegas Drunk Driver Accident Lawyer Can Help
Discussing your legal rights with a drunk driving attorney at Temple Injury Law is easy. We offer free initial consultations. It costs you nothing to find out if you have a claim.
At Temple Injury Law in Las Vegas, we have decades of experience representing accident victims of drunk driving accidents. Our team is dedicated to helping you get the financial support you need to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages related to your DUI accident claim. We understand what you are going through after a drunk driving accident, and we will fight aggressively to help you get justice.
NO FEE UNLESS WE WIN